Saturday, May 2, 2015

Small Business Spotlight with Ifeyinwa Onwualu


Tell me about yourself…My name is Ifeyinwa Onwualu and I'm the CEO & Founder of Madison Gems (www.madisongems.com); a fashion jewelry & accessories online boutique that caters to men, women and children. I'm Afro-Jamerican, a product of a Nigerian and a Jamaican parent, nevertheless, I reside in Queens, New York. Becoming an entrepreneur was always a part of my blueprint when growing up. However, I was interested in so many different things that I had no idea which avenue I would choose first. Considering, I've always loved accessorizing, moreover, I loved accessorizing on a budget. As a result, I got a business license so that my sisters and I could cash-in on wholesale prices. I always imagined that I would own a boutique one day, however, I decided to attain my education first with a bachelors degree in International Business and an MBA in Hospitality & Tourism Management. Consequently, I couldn't find gainful employment in my field, so I decided to pursue my passion for merchandising and put my business license to use by starting my website. 

What motivates you to keep going?
My motivation is to pay off my student loans, in addition to creating a comfortable life for myself and my family. I also have a drive for challenging myself, waking up everyday knowing that I have a purpose is paramount to my success. 

Do you feel your life is balanced between your personal and professional life?
My life is not 100% balanced between my personal and professional life. I'm so excited about my business and eager to be a force to be reckoned with, that oftentimes I'm still online researching and planning at 1am. However, I'm currently managing my work schedule to allot more time for myself and my family, and it seems to be working. 

What advice would you give to an aspiring entrepreneur?
The best advice I can give to an aspiring entrepreneur is to do exactly what you love, take risks even though you're unaware of the outcome, work diligently to learn the in's and out's of your industry, and don't be afraid to ask for help, because no one is completely self-made. Moreover, put everything in God's hands.

What’s your favorite social media platform? My favorite social media platform is Facebook. It is by far the darling of social media. 

What book are you currently reading or would recommend to fellow entrepreneurs? I'm currently reading "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.

What’s your favorite app? My favorite app is Affirmations. It displays daily motivational sayings and affirmations.

What's your favorite Podcast account name? My favorite Podcast is "The Best Business Podcast" by Daryl Urbanski

What’s your favorite Entrepreneur website/blog to visit? My favorite entrepreneur website is www.forbes.com

What’s your favorite quote? My favorite quote is "I'm destined to be great. However, I'm inspired to be more. Hence. I'm chasing the quintessential embodiment of the American dream; money, power and respect. 

Support and stay connected with Ifeyinwa with the links below:

Website: www.madisongems.com 

Google+: Madison Gems 

No comments:

Post a Comment