Saturday, June 27, 2015

Michelle Derrick-Small Business Spotlight


Tell me about yourself… My name is Michelle Derrick and I am the CEO of MD Accounting and Financial Services.  My initial business started as many things (mostly some of my passions) but I found that I had a natural talent and love for numbers.  I decided to obtain my MBA and move forward in my professional career as an accountant.  There are many accounting firms out there but which ones will specifically cater to a small business?  

What motivates you to keep going? My family and my hunger for success. I want to be a successful entrepreneur and I want to be able to help people.  There is nothing like hearing someone refer you because "you are amazing" or "you were the fix it girl".

Do you feel your life is balanced between your personal and professional life? Absolutely because I MAKE TIME!!  Lets face it, there aren't enough hours in the day to do EVERYTHING.  So planning your work and working your plan truly works.  You have to discipline yourself and keep yourself on track every day, every hour, every second.  If you don't, something is going to fall off.

What advice would you give to an aspiring entrepreneur? Be YOU!!  Don't just get into business for yourself because you want to make money.  Do it because it's something you enjoy and have a passion for.  Why would anyone CHOOSE work?  Why not CHOOSE to live and enjoy life doing something you love?  Also, we all wear many hats but try to find the one that fits you best.  It is tough to market yourself to a client when you don't dwindle down what it is you're actually good at.  If you do want to be an entrepreneur in multiple industries, then create separate marketing campaigns for each industry.  For example, marketing that you are a hair and makeup artist should not be on the same card as being a tax preparer.  Showing all of your talent and skills on one form of marketing could be overwhelming to potential clients.  

What’s your favorite social media platform? Facebook works for me simply because I am a writer at heart.  I love writing daily tips and quotes that will help people succeed or make them hungry for knowledge.  I think Twitter is amazing too!!

What book are you currently reading or would recommend to fellow entrepreneurs? Well, I do a lot of research online when it comes to my business and how to maximize my opportunities.  However, I'm currently reading "Everybody's Got Something" by Robin Roberts.  My mother gave it to me and said that I should read it.  She was absolutely right!  It very positive and enlightening to read about a successful black woman overcoming her struggles throughout life. 

What’s your favorite app? My favorite app is definitely my banking app.  I love the fact that, at the swipe of a finger, I can see my bank accounts in real time, transfer funds, and do some budgeting.  I would absolutely recommend that everyone download their banking institution's app on their phone.  It's a time as well as a money saver!

What's your favorite Podcast account name? You know I don't really listen to Podcast. I usually like to listen to soft jazz or R&B when I'm working or researching.  Any recommendations?

What’s your favorite Entrepreneur website/blog to visit? When I first knew that I wanted to become an entrepreneur, I was fascinated by all things fashion.  So much so that I became a stylist and blogger (I still do but on the side.  I no longer market those services).  I fell in love with Fashion Bomb Daily and Claire Sumner's take on urban fashion.  You can literally see her climb to the top on this blog.  Now she is a notable fashion blogger, editor, and writer. 

What’s your favorite quote? "Paying attention to what's beneath you while climbing the ladder to success can case you to lose focus and quickly fall to the bottom.  Keep looking UP and your footsteps will be guided" - Michelle Derrick (this is a quote of my own) 



Support and stay connected with Michelle on her Facebook page and Website

No comments:

Post a Comment